Wednesday, February 25, 2009

goats, sheep, and sunglasses

Dakar. I read before I had even come here that it is the Paris of Africa. Huh. I disagree.
I still really like it here, but I think I like it because it isn’t Paris.

On Animals:
Only yesterday did some of the girls in the group learn how to decipher between goats and sheep. In their defense, the sheep here aren’t wooly like the ones we’re familiar with. We learned to look for the long tails (sheep) and the short tails (goats). Also, after pointing out the ‘massive balls on that one”, did someone learn that nanny goats have 2 teats, not 4 like cows. Oh! Americans!

Many families in Dakar keep a goat or two on their rooftops, bringing food up and poop down regularly. Land is expensive so it seems to make financial sense. Feeding the goats cardboard (which they do) also makes financial sense, but I’m not sure I can support that one.

“But he likes cardboard! Look! Watch how quickly he eats it!” True story.

Goats and sheep roam freely in the streets, often in herds that block traffic. I haven’t seen any branding so I’m not sure how families know whose goats and whose, but it seems to work out finely. I had expected to see a lot more chickens, based off of my experiences in Mexico and Latin America, but they are few here. They don’t have much to forage, I suppose, considering the ground here is only sand (no bugs), and chickens won’t eat cardboard…. Maybe they’re just too expensive to feed.

Fun observations this week:
-Rickshaw horses eating their grain and hay from a Senegalese trough: a defunct and fallen refrigerator with the doors ripped off.
-7-8 year old girls carrying 1-2 year olds on their backs. The younger babies carry teddy bears on their backs for practice.
- Small children here are afraid of cats! It’s understandable because they are all feral here, like rats in the u.s.. Plus, those howling noises they make at night would frighten anyone. When a stray gets in the house (often, because the house is open-air), they all scream and cry. Even better, the word for cat in Wolof is moose, so they start screaming and pointing at the ‘moose-mi”.
- The Senegalese have interesting believes regarding health. For example, Adult Diabetes is a huge problem here. I’m guessing this is, in part, a result of the massive amounts of sugar and white grain-food they. 4 sugar cubes in a small cup of coffee with a half baguette with chocolate is a standard breakfast. For lunch, more baguette with some sort of protein with more sugar-coffee and some sugar cookies and a soda or a juice, then some white rice with some fish or veggies and some juice or soda for dessert. They eat ungodly amounts of sugar here. When I mentioned the correlation between sugar and adult diabetes, they thought I was crazy and told me that diabetes comes ONLY from not exercising enough. Sugar intake has ‘nothing to do with it.”

Also, if you are caught without your flip-flops on in the house you will get firm scolding, because everyone knows colds come from your feet toughing cold tile. (Actually, I think gramma used to tell me that one, too)

None of the students have been able to figure out why the Senegalese are obsessed with the t.v. They watch it at all hours, during any free time, full volume. Somehow, I caught a moment when no one was in the living room and the t.v. was off, so I installed myself in the recliner to do some computer work while listening to some soft music on my laptop. My host mom saw me, sitting alone, came to turn on the t.v. (volume all the way up, of course), only to turn around and walk out of the room. She was being polite, in a Senegalese way. However, I was annoyed and got up to turn it off. So it goes.

-Terranga. This is Wolof for hospitality, and the Senegalese are very proud of this aspect of their culture. The hospitality is so strong here that if you are lost and ask directions, the person you are asking will likely drop everything they are doing to take you to your desired location. It manifests itself again in the tradition of giving items to people if they fancy them. If you say, “Oh, your sunglasses are very cute” to a Senegalese, you are likely to walk away wearing them. However, it sucks when it happens the other way. I’ve learned that the polite way of getting out of this ‘gifting’ obligation is to respond with, “I will name them after you.”

… And thus, my sunglasses will forever be named Abdul Muhammad NDiaye.


We succeeded in getting our visas to Mali, all 6 of us. Not sure yet on how to get there as we have several options ranging from $80- 400 dollars. We’re first headed to Bamako, the capital of Mali. Stay there a few days and hire a guide to bring us to Dogon Country/Territory. Spend 5-7 days hiking around the Dogon cliffs, villages, and ceremonial sites and then head back the way we came. I’m so excited!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to come back with every item you own "named after" someone or another. That is hilarious. I love your updates Katie!

    ReplyDelete